Email Address: email@example.com
Phone Number: Gladstone Regional Council 07 4970 0700
GPS Coordinates: -23° 57' 33.36", 151° 9' 15.89"
Region: Gladstone Region    Area: Fitzroy   State: Queensland
Type: Free Short Term Campsite
Calliope River Camping Grounds
is a low maintenance facility, located 26 kms west of Gladstone and 100 kms south of Rockhampton, beside the Calliope River. You have the option of setting up camp above the river on the high northern side or near the amenities on the southern side.
Fishing is popular for barramundi, flathead and bream on the downstream side of the weir, while yabbies and mud crabs may also be found in the weir. Birds are in abundance; from kites wheeling overhead and a sea eagle diving for prey, to red backed fairy wrens.
Caution is recommended when swimming as there have been instances of Box Jellyfish stings.
There is a small shop nearby at Calliope Historical Village and markets are held regularly. See the Calliope Historical Village website for more information.
There is no charge to stay at Calliope River Camping Grounds. Maximum stay is 48 hours. The area is regularly patrolled and penalties will apply if you exceed the maximum stay period.
The northern side can be accessed by turning off the Bruce Highway at the Calliope Historical Village and following the road to the river. The Northern side is sealed and has one septic ablution toilet block and one composting toilet, there are no showers. The Southern Side can be accessed by turning off the Bruce Highway onto Old Bruce Highway, River Ranch, Calliope. The Southern side has one large septic ablution block.
It is recommended Campers bring their own drinking water as the water is untreated borewater and it is not recommended to drink. Waste must be disposed of in the bins provided or taken offsite by the camper. There are no chemical toilet waste disposal units at the campgrounds. The waste cannot be emptied in the composting toilets or the Septic Ablution block as the chemicals kill the organisms required for the effective operation of the composting/septic systems. Chemical Toilets must be emptied at the designated dump point located on the corner of Taragoola Road and Dawson Highway, Calliope. Chemical toilet waste must not be buried or disposed of in the river.
During the event of a flood warning, camping is not recommended at Calliope River Camping Grounds
- The amenities are cleaned and restocked daily during peak season and every second day otherwise. If the toilet paper runs out during between services, campers are required to provide their own supplies.
- Small camp fires are allowed in designated campfire areas. Campers must provide their own firewood. Vegetation and infrastructure is not to be removed for the purpose of campfires. Fires are to be doused with water and buried when finished.
- Generators are permitted at the campgrounds, however we ask campers to be considerate of noise by limiting use to between 7am and 10pm on any day.
- Behaving in a riotous, disorderly, indecent, offensive, threatening or insulting manner; will not be tolerated. Offenders will be requested to leave the camping grounds and may result in a fine and permanent ban from the Camping Grounds.
- Please be considerate of other campers by limiting noise between the hours of 7am and 10pm
- Interfering with a plant or any turf, sand, clay, soil or other material; is prohibited. Penalties apply
- Interfering with any facility or equipment located at the local government camping ground is prohibited. Penalties apply.
- Camp site must be kept and maintained in good repair and clean, tidy and sanitary condition. The camping site must not be left unoccupied for more than 2 days. Council will remove and dispose of equipment from abandoned campsites.